Sunday, December 14, 2014

A Difficult Time of Year

This time of year seems to be difficult for so many.  For some, the difficulty is in dealing with family after walking away from the traditions of this season.  For others, it's the stress of participating in the traditions of this season.  For many, it's the finances of life in general, and the fact this season, traditions or no, just seems to cost more in general expenses, like heating.  For a growing number of us, this time of year seems exhausting.  Darkness descends in what seems like the middle of the afternoon, which makes the day short and the bed inviting.

In my own personal situation, I have a touch of most of those variables listed above.  I don't participate in Christmas or the commercial side of Hanukkah, so I'm not terribly popular with family, this time of year.  Come to think of it, I'm not terribly popular with family, any time of year . . . yet I digress.  Chores are a bit less enjoyable this time of year because of cold and ice.  The critters are just not as sociable, as cold is not their favorite, either.  My home is all electric and even with a fireplace and some off grid power, it seems the furnace or heat pump do have a negative impact on the light bill.  I can't imagine what my bill would be, if I were going behind a couple of kids turning off lights and closing doors.  With all this extra early darkness, I have discovered my futon is so much more comfortable, than it seems in the summer.

I'm not a bit depressed, so I don't think I have SAD, but I do realize this time of year takes a great toll on a number of people, and that makes me sad.  So many go into debt for things that will be broken or tossed before the credit card is even paid off.  Sadly, as our economy has continued to destabilize, many more families are struggling just to survive.  While we are being told the economy is recovering, it's easy to see grocery store prices are continuing to rise.  I found myself in a bit of a personal struggle that I have finally resolved, for now . . . I think.

I don't want to contribute to Christmas baskets or gifts, but I do want to help.  By the grace of G-d, I've now been able to clearly see, January is a much more difficult month for many people than December is.  There are a number of charities that are in full swing this month, but next month, when the tinsel has tarnished and the snow has settled, many folks will still be struggling.  For those of us who do not celebrate the December 25th tradition, I have a great idea!  For the past couple of years, I've tried to get the jump on donations to avoid the Thanksgiving/Christmas push, by making food and soap donations about the time school starts and taking coats and sweaters for donation in October.  I've since realized another option and opportunity.  We can offer assistance in January!  The grocery store will still have it's "food pantry" basket by the door.  Winter coats will still be needed.  As a matter of fact, in my neck o' the woods, a winter coat really isn't needed until January.  My heating bill is always worse in January and February, than it is in December; so there are ways to help without participating in the traditional seasonal charities.

It's taken a few weeks to come to this praise report, but I have come to truly appreciate the early nightfall through this difficult time of year.  Regardless of the season, I'm good for about 4 hours after dark.  In the summer, that's midnight or after, but right now, it's about 9 pm.  Now that I'm ready for bed by 9pm, I have a great new prayer schedule.  Since the daylight saving time shock last month, most nights I'm sound asleep before 10, but wide awake again around 2am.  I have been having the best time of prayer through the early morning hours, then doze back off after five.  It's still dark, so I enjoy another couple of hours of sleep, before the rooster begins crowing.  This split shift prayer schedule has become such a blessing!

Many are facing difficult times right now.  Prayer is certainly one thing I can do.  Through that time of prayer, however; I have the blessed privilege of hearing what else I can do.





No comments:

Post a Comment