Sunday, January 4, 2015

What to Do?

Many of us in these last days are feeling torn . . . What do we do?  How do we hope for unity while not compromising?  How do we honor the last generation and protect the future one?
I found myself in what I thought was a very strange dilemma a few years ago.  I have experienced similar situations along this narrow path, but I don't recall one that so blatantly hit so many Torah issues at once.  The scenario was a stressful crisis, of course.  Three of my grandchildren were here, my parents, Mr. B, of course, and myself all participated in this strange event that seemed to just continue to unfold . . .

One of the young kids had gotten out and was in the timber to the east, and was being attacked by another neighbor's dog.  Mr. B got on his 4 wheeler with the eldest of the three grandchildren.  Daddy and I headed toward the east fence, while mom stayed on the back porch with the other two grandchildren.

I had a special place in the back of the fence that I had made secure, but could be opened in the event of an emergency.  Mr. B had taken it upon himself to wire that closed, securely . . . So I was trapped and I do not have the agility to climb a 4 X 4 fence.  Mr. B arrived on the other side of the fence with my granddaughter, and directed her to rescue the goat from the attacking dog.  As the feeling of being trapped turned into claustrophobia for me, Daddy did scale the fence and stopped the intervention.  As I screamed for my granddaughter to get back, she did, Daddy got her to the 4 wheeler and grabbed the young goat to hand it over the fence to me.  I carried it back to the house, treated the wounds and got it in a special pen with it's mama, but the trauma was far from over.

My poor granddaughter was truly traumatized and as she helped me with the little goat, we could all see Grandmother and Granddad's wheels turning.  Life was about to become tense.  Mr. B had already seen the fire in my eyes and was doing his best to lay low and be quiet.  Daddy decided the best plan would be to shoot the dog.  I had no problem with that, except; the incident had not occurred on my place.  It just wouldn't be right to be shooting anything on someone else's property, since the danger had now passed.  Although I agreed with his sentiments and even concurred that dog needed to be penned or put down; he wasn't happy with my response.  Grandmother on the other hand, had other plans.  My mother is one of those people who has an "endangered child story and devil parable" for all occasions.  This was no exception!

Here I am, trying to honor my parents, and even though respect is lacking between Mr. B and myself, I do try to appear respectful . . . all; while trying to protect my grandchildren.  This was a strange juggling act and I really didn't want to fail in obedience to Abba.  It was then, that the test truly began.

My mother began her latest two fold"endangered child / devil parable" while the traumatized granddaughter ran down the hall near tears . . . I went with that child.  Later the other two caught us up on the latest " child endangerment story / devil parable;" now referred to as "Another Episode of Grandmother Says."   As for Mr. B . . . I began with "If you ever . . ." but quickly changed that to: "You better never send any of MY grandchildren into harm's way . . ." although I would include any child . . .   He apparently got the message!

We are called to protect the lambs!  That was such a time of discernment and having to choose, honor, respect, and protect.  I pray I did it correctly!  I'm sure my parents should have been honored that their offspring places child safety above all else, and Mr. B still got dinner that night.


No comments:

Post a Comment