Sunday, August 24, 2014

I Got to Help!

Once in a while being a princess gets even more special, if you can imagine that!  A couple of months ago a friend called and asked me if I had any goat milk.  When it comes to goat milk, my reputation is spanning a fair radius by now.  A gentleman drove over 40 miles for goat's milk for a litter of pups.  My Daddy always brings a cooler to take some home to NE Kansas with him, and now my goat's milk has been taken into Oklahoma for a very special project.

When my friend came to pick up the milk, he shared what had happened.  He said he was brush hoggin' along the road, when a mama deer came out of the edge of the timber.  He said, he could tell by the way she looked back, she had young.  He stopped and shut off the tractor.  Apparently, she was trying to divert and lure something away from her young.  My friend said he just sat silently watching, as she ran and looked back, then darted in front of his stopped tractor and into the road.  Sadly a car came around the corner and the mama deer was killed instantly.  So, my friend fired his tractor back up and went to check to see if his instinct was correct.  It was correct and then some.

There in a little “nest” was snuggled not one, but two brand new fawns.  They were so new, their hooves were still soft.  He called his wife to bring him a box, but wouldn't tell her why until she got there.
He already had the fawns up in the cab of his tractor, but the box made for a cozy afternoon for the three of them . . . 

When I heard how new they were, I suggested he also take some colostrum.  I always try to have colostrum on hand for emergencies and this certainly qualified.  He thanked me and asked if I had a goat I wanted to sell.  I told him no, but I'd be happy to keep him in milk for this project, even loan him one.

He called the Conservation agent for his county to report a couple of baby deer, explaining the circumstances.  He proceeded to tell the agent, he'd called a friend and the deer had received goat colostrum as well as taking to the bottle of goat's milk quite well.  The agent was quick to offer encouragement, saying, "You had to do what you believed G-d wanted you to do.  Take care of them until they are weaned then offer them their freedom.”  The agent then added, “If they were less than two days old, they will probably not leave your goat herd, until the buck “hears the call of the wild.”  The doe will probably just stay with the goats.”  My friend assured the agent the deer were less than 24 hours old when their mama was killed.

I was truly honored when he mentioned he had called a woman, who had just what those babies needed.  I've since gotten to see them.  They are beautiful and just about old enough to be weaned.   How thankful I am that Abba allowed me to play a small part of this “rescue operation.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment