Sunday, September 29, 2013

I've Got the Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy . . .

Down in my heart, down in my heart . . .

As I enjoyed the week of Sukkot, I kept hearing that song from childhood.  I live a rather silent existence, although my goats do communicate with me, and I know my dog Hank actually tries to talk.  That can be verified with the UPS driver, as he's noticed and commented as well.  Most of my regular human interaction is through the internet, so my verbal communication skills actually seem to be waning, or maybe it's the lesson of a lifetime in bridling my tongue.  It's much easier to look at words before hitting send than to try to regather them after they leave one's lips.

Every morning of Sukkot, I awoke to the sounds of nature and the awareness that this was a very special time.  The only thing missing this Sukkot, was an "in person" gathering.  I've attended those and hosted those in the past, but this year many of us "gathered by internet."  With laptops, smartphones, and Ipads may of us  "technoshipped" from our sukkah.  It was a time of celebrating and rejoicing.  I was happy for those who were enjoying gatherings in person and very thankful for the technology to share with so many of us who were sukkotin' solo!

As I spent time in the orchard or with the animals, I felt even more tuned into just how simple this life could be and how little we actually need to be content.  Please hear me, like most Americans, I've got plenty more than I need, but a week of "facilities" beyond where I was staying was a reminder of the conveniences we take for granted.  Also realizing, that although I am still pretty active and walking well, I do not have the physical agility or the balance to have participated in some of the sukkot gatherings I read about.

I like to think YHWH is preparing me, my verbal skills or absence thereof, and my physical capabilities or lack, for the gathering I'll participate in next year.  It's too early to make the plans, but knowing there are so many who ended up sukkotin' solo, we may just be able to gather next year together.  As I looked at the recipe for my traditional Sukkot Moussaka and the harvest of aubergine, I realized Moussaka for one just isn't a practical dish.  We'll see what transpires as the seasons change.

Sukkot is such a joyous celebration, culminating in Simchat Torah, which is Rejoicing in the Written Instructions.  The only sorrow I experienced was in realizing how quickly the week went.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

No comments:

Post a Comment