Sunday, May 8, 2016

Acceptance

I'm not by nature, a distrusting soul, but I've learned, trust is not to be handled lightly or given indiscriminately.  This isn't about distrusting known liars, as that is just wisdom, but rather the need to accept the fact we all just do not see things the same way.  I can't possibly expect someone to make the same decision I would, in a matter in which they don't hold the same view.  People make decision based upon their perspective and we don't all share the same perspective.  It is wrong to expect someone to make a decision based upon a view or value they do not hold.

I'll use a couple of my personal examples which would be easy to follow into general society.  Our health and our finances are two rather large areas in everyone's life.  I'm not talking about vanity or the love of money, but simply the management of both, varies dramatically between people, and we do depend upon our bodies and most of us feel the need to pay our bills.  It's not a matter of skepticism or cynicism when we do not trust another person or government to manage our health or resources in the same way we do.   Realizing they simply have a different way of handling these matters should keep the issue from becoming a wedge, at least among individuals.  We cannot burden someone with a decision they cannot make or should not make for another person.  Nor should we impose our choices on another . . .

I do not adhere to Big Pharma in any way shape or form.  I do not seek medical attention for anything in my life.  I would go to a chiropractor or reflexologist if one were available, but no professional in mainstream allopathic medicine and no pharmakeia.  Although this is a general statement, and I'm sure there are exceptions, I do not trust nurses, because society has redefined a Scriptural term.  Nursing was a Biblical profession, that no longer carries the original meaning.  Nurses in Scripture worked for one family or one person for a lifetime.  Now nurses work for their employer, often a "care" facility or a pharmaceutical company, a doctor, and always the state that issued their license.  The patient is at least third on the list of priorities . . . Clearly a far cry from Deborah in Scripture.  Doctors answer to the AMA, insurance, and represent Big Pharma, so I do not feel my best interest is actually their top priority.  Now, my stand on this one issue, if I were anyone at all, would be discredited by 98% of our society, including my family.  Therefore, I choose to keep my health matters, private.

I carry a copy of health choices in writing in my wallet, just in case some sort of incident took place publicly and I was unconscious or in a situation in which I could not verbalize my wishes.  I do not expect everyone or anyone, for that matter, to share my view, but I do expect them to honor my decision for myself.  Having been in a situation in which I errantly trusted family, I have since put my choice in writing and would not contact them in case of emergency.  I've told Mr. B, in case of severe illness, he is not to notify family until I'm recovering or ready for burial, whichever is the end result.  I'm not mad at them for not agreeing with me, I just know that and accept that fact.  So my health is my business, between my Heavenly Father and myself, and trusted to no one else.

I also mentioned finances.  My parents are quite secretive about their finances and although I don't talk much about my net worth and cash flow, I do share budgeting and saving ideas when asked.  My kids are very open about their spending habits and they clearly don't align with my style.  I'm not a wealthy woman by this society's standards, but I truly do live quite well with very little expense.  I don't have a mortgage.  I raise most of my food.  My home is all electric and I have a well, so basically I have a monthly internet charge and electric bill.  I'm enjoying some benefits of wind and solar energy, so the bill for electricity is actually reduced from what it used to be.  I got rid of my television years ago, so there's no cable or satellite bill.  My business isn't on the New York Stock Exchange, but it pays for itself.  This is another area of life that folks need to realize, may or may not be a trust issue, but each generation handles finances differently and could clearly be interpreted to be a matter of trust in any given situation.

My parents have stated they have some sort of Trust and I guess no one knows what's in it, until after they die, or maybe it's just me that's not in the know . . . For whatever their reasons, they'd rather trust a stranger and that suits me well.  This way, any discrepancy or problem will not fall on my shoulders.  I'm still a bit ambivalent about what I need to do to get my final affairs in order, but I don't think it will require a Trust Fund.  I remember a few years ago when one of my kids was acting like they were going to be a part of this ministry project, but . . . much change just continued to be introduced.  I finally looked at her and said, "Shouldn't I be dead before you talk about implementing all this change?"  Which, of course, made me realize, without a protege in ministry or Divine Intervention by the Hand of the Almighty, which could include the Second Coming; this place will likely be sold after my death.

So, although I wouldn't trust my health or bank account to be handled the way I do, by anyone I know, it's not a matter of distrust, but just "acceptance."

No comments:

Post a Comment