Sunday, February 1, 2015

Understanding, Accepting, and Agreeing

I'm not talking about hypocrisy when I say I think many folks on the internet hope to have a more respected presence online than they receive in real time.  I was blessed to not hope for that, and so far, it's been confirmed, I am just as socially awkward online as I am in person.  The same problems that plagued friendship and fellowship in real time, plague social media and an internet presence.  By that same token, the same strengths and knowledgeable insight are appreciated.  I do have to say this, however.  The internet has truly afforded me an appreciation of my own awkwardness and the joy of embracing the uniqueness of others.

A great deal of thought began stirring within, when FB announced a change in it's data policy and terms of service.  It seems so easy to just click accept, and becoming easier to sign contracts that are explained to us, rather than actually reading that to which we are agreeing.  Taking the condensed version of another, especially when free or the "complain and comply" method just won't work for me.  I am not necessarily distrustful of others, but I do feel there is a definite agenda to desensitize people to "go along to get along" and to be compliant because it's already in place.  I realize the NSA can read my mail and listen to my phone conversations.  I know google earth has taken pictures of my place, but I didn't agree to that!  That involves "the" integrity of those entities or lack thereof; not mine.  I was angry when the spying began and folks would say, "if you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to worry about."  That tag line has existed since shortly after 9/11.  I didn't like it then and and I still don't like it now.  I don't have anything to hide, but I do hold a certain level of privacy to be a part of freedom.

Back to being the same on and off line.  When I buy a vehicle, I read the paperwork.  I want to know what is involved with the warranty, mileage, etc.  When I buy real estate, I don't want the realtor's version of what they think I need to know, I want to read the full disclosure and the contract I'm signing.  As technology continues to increase in our lives, I feel the need to understand the terms of service, data policy, and use of cookies, or at least make an attempt to do so.  The future of this country and the world is being managed by technology and recorded digitally.  In the very near future, understanding the use of search engine cookies may be more important than we realize, especially now that our health care is part of the big system.  

No comments:

Post a Comment