Sunday, November 2, 2014

Windblown Hair and a Broken Nail

It's been a wild week winding down this year's growing season and getting the last few things in place for winter.  There is timber all over the place beckoning me to cut it up and get it close to the house, but some is cut and just ready to be moved.  The goats are all pretty content and definitely enjoying the winter supply of hay, even though the pasture is still green!  As I prepare for the winter and shemitah, it's dawned on me, Abba seems to have a different image of what it is to be a princess, than our society indicates.

As it turns out, a peculiar princess ends up with some wild hair days and broken nails . . . at least this one does.  This one also had the opportunity to be on the receiving end of some investigative reporting . . . delivered right to the place!  HalleluYah.  That report is covered in People of the Preservation and Updates.  I've realized in this past week, even in so much preparation, just how unprepared I truly am.  I'm still trying, on occasion to be the picture of femininity in our society, or even our Biblical history . . .  Realistically, there are days, I know am a far sight from what I envision to be an Esther and and the Proverbs 31 woman.  Some days, I'm sure I look much more like one of those old k'vetches [complainers] in the wilderness about 35 years after the Exodus.

As I smoothed the jagged edges of broken nails and filed down the last couple of long ones to even them out, I thought to myself how truly blessed I am.  You know, even if I was still in town doing all the "community stuff" I'd still have wild grey hair, my own sense of fashion, and be 56 years old.  I wouldn't be the image of my idea of a princess there, either.  I've since asked Abba to help me always look beyond the physical appearance.  Nobody should be judged so superficially!

As long as I've brushed my hair, who cares if the wind rearranges it?  I don't actually enjoy maintaining fingernails of any length and I never polish, so long ones would be impractical.  I do miss polished toenails though!  I can't have polished toenails and free range chickens.  My sweet little chickens just cannot resist pecking bright colors!  So, all things considered, it's still a small price to pay.  Truth be told, it's rather invigorating to be outdoors with the wind blowing through my long silver locks.  It feels like a freedom, I've never known.  To be able to look out any window and see the beauty of creation is a breathtaking blessing, one for which I give thanks, daily.  I'm grateful to have the health and stamina to do what I do!   To be surrounded by the beauty of our Creator and to be blessed with health to enjoy is it my definition of being a beautiful princess . . . even with windblown hair and few broken nails.


1 comment:

  1. At least we are not paper dolls like those fabricated by our society. Our hair may get blown around but we will not be blown away.

    ReplyDelete