Sunday, February 16, 2014

Sharing Portions

Now that I'm not in town in the Mission with children in and out regularly, I find I'm not as interested in baking various goods to "share portions" around the neighborhood.  I'm not experiencing that momentary Elijah syndrome, as I know I'm not "the only one;" but I haven't run across any Torah observers for miles around.  This year, I just wasn't in the mood to bake breads and cakes to distribute, while receiving the extra bonus of hearing a "NT only" sermon.

I prayed about that before Purim, as in this isolation, I do not want to become calloused and closed off.  Our Heavenly Father is amazing, simply, amazing.  As I was making some changes in the online store and preparing orders this week, questions began to literally pour in.  It was an opportunity to share a new kind of "portions" and see the rest of this verse.  The Jews of the villages sent portions to one another.  It wasn't an outreach event at all!  It was a celebration amongst like minded individuals.

Therefore the Jews of the villages, that dwelt in the unwalled towns, made the fourteenth day of the month Adar a day of gladness and feasting, and a good day, and of sending portions one to another.  Esther 9:19

Interesting, isn't it, how we can read the same passages year after year, and suddenly, see something we've never seen before?  Ideas for next Purim are already stirring.  If the internet continues to serve as a means to connect fellow servants, we have an opportunity that Elijah and Obadiah's prophets in the cave didn't have.  Knowing at some point the internet probably won't be available, we have the blessing of knowing others are out there and who knows, there will hopefully be time for some of us to gather in various locations to fellowship in person.

Esther 4:14 has been a responsibility for years, and one I've taken seriously.  Since I'm not exactly the image of a Princess, it's been such a blessing knowing my birthday on the Hebrew calendar is actually mentioned in Esther, several times.   Now to see this celebration of Purim, in new light and to be able to celebrate in a new way, has been such a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment