Sunday, August 11, 2013

Ain't No Way to Treat a Lady . . .

If I'm not mistaken, this was the title of a Helen Reddy hit, nearly forty years ago.  This blogsite may offer just too much introspection or cover topics that some in our society believe should remain undiscussed, but I've seen and heard, the world view is quite vocal and the "agenda machine" is willing to reach out and discuss everything, so I'm feeling led to do the same.  Here's the warning:  The revelation began in the bath tub.  As a rule, I'm a shower person, but I was feeling drawn to draw a bath.


Just as I was about to run bath water, the phone rang.  The gentleman from whom I buy hay called and said, after his two bulls had gotten in a tussle causing some significant damage to his truck, it was back up and in good repair.  It was too wet to get out and make hay, so he'd bring over the couple of bales I needed.  This area has gotten over a foot of rain in less than 3 weeks, so saying it's too wet to make hay, means it's really muddy in the pasture, too.  My hay man is only about twenty minutes away, so my bath was postponed; and I went out to move livestock and open gates.  This place sits high, as the terrain goes, so he didn't think there'd be any problem.  Other than a couple of ruts, things went pretty smoothly.  We got the hay transaction accomplished, he left, and I once again headed to my bath.

As I washed my face and arms, I realized, why my lifestyle is better suited to a shower.  I don't go barefooted when it's muddy so I can take my sandals off at the door, and I knew I'd gotten my clothes dirty, but I had no idea just how grubby I'd actually gotten in all that mud!  I remembered back to a time when my grandchildren were younger and would just get filthy here on the place.  The term of endearment, "grub muffin" was coined, but so far only one grandchild has maintained the interest to continue that title.  Now, I see where she gets it.  As I pondered my own life and interests, I could easily see why men would not be so interested in a woman like me, and I thought again of my granddaughter who is so much like me.

The guys of my generation were taught the green to be desired was paper and a respectable career was one in which they didn't get their hands dirty.  Land ownership was fine, but working the land was not a desired career.  The mantra was "work smarter, not harder."   These days, however; the times they are a changin'.  The men of younger generations are realizing the value of the soil.  Industry doesn't hold the same appeal or promise it did for the older generations.  Some of these younger guys are realizing,  rather than a dead-end career or uncertain employment to pay off student loans; working the land and using their talents, is in fact working smarter, not harder!

Back to the perspective of this dirty princess.  Being a seven year old "grub muffin" is adorable, even now at 14 she can pull it off for a bit, but a 55 year old, not so much . . . And so I thought of this crazy feminist movement our society produced, and even though the ERA never came to fruition, many women have positioned themselves to compete with men, and it's become expected for a woman to work like a man, even if she doesn't earn like one.  Yet, to be able to "have it all," seems to render so many to still be quite unhappy.

I, on the other hand realized, and will share this information with my grandchildren and anyone who will listen.  The Proverbs 31 woman probably got dirty on occasion.  I'm guessing Ruth got dusty, maybe even perspired out there in Boaz's field.  I can honestly tell any young lady, the right man will appreciate your interests and love who you really are.  It's okay to get dirty, if you get cleaned up afterward.  The right man might even be out there getting dirty right along side of you, well actually; with the right man, it will be the other way around.

My message to young ladies is, a woman can work with her hands, she can work the land, and she can still be a lady.  As a matter of fact, Proverbs 31 gives quite an amazing list of what a woman can do and is capable of, and in that she is praised and called blessed.   A man worthy of respect will appreciate a capable woman, even if she needs a bath before she makes dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment