Tuesday, August 22, 2017

A Princess Kind of Day

Lately, I've found myself noticing other mature women . . . wondering if they are older, younger, or about my age.  Yes, I admit it, pushing 60 has challenged me.  Not that I'm dreading 60, but rather, I've noticed it seems to be the determining age that sets health and activity level for the rest of one's life.  From what I've observed, there are those who are still active at 60, and there are those who are markedly older, and slowed down dramatically at 60.  I don't plan to stop at 60, but this last injury still has me in recovery mode.  Oh, I'm milking, and gardening, and canning, and the usual, but it feels different this year!  I've also added water exercises to my daily regimen, which has helped tremendously.  I have always used a walking stick on the homestead, but I now have a town walking stick, as well.  Does it make me look older, I don't know and I don't care.  I'm not worried about appearance, I just want to stay active.  I plan to be a vivacious 60!

Last week, I took a short day trip to the Cherokee nation.  I just love being there!  Although I am truly grateful to live where I do, I very much love Oklahoma.  Unlike so many Americans, my great great grandmother was not a Cherokee princess, because the Cherokees have chiefs not kings; therefore no princesses.  If someone's great great grandmother was the daughter of a chief, then someone's great great great grandfather was a chief.  Now, that's an exciting heritage!

In traveling, there are always stops to be made . . . and at every stop, the gentlemen were just wonderful!  Doors were held open for me.  Does this make me feel old?  Not at all, it makes me feel pretty and feminine.  I love the differences between the sexes and take delight that chivalry is not dead.  Even once, a gentleman who had already exited before I got anywhere near the storefront, actually went back to open the door for me.  More than one young man called me Ma'am, and that never offends me.  It doesn't make me feel old at all.  It reminds me, some people are still raising their kids to show respect.  I like it!

One particular incident, could have been just a bit awkward, as a gentleman and I nearly ran into each other as we exited our designated rest rooms.  After our awkward "oops" he just clearly and openly declared, "You are a beautiful woman."  I thanked him, and he went on to tell me how beautiful my skin tone is, my eyes, and then launched into his opinion of my hair.  As it turns out, his wife grayed early and wanted to cover it, but he persuaded her to leave it natural, as he found it just beautiful.  So, his parting words to me were, "Don't ever color or cut your hair, it's beautiful!"

If there were such a thing as Cherokee royalty, I had a princess kind of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment