Sunday, May 17, 2015

The Sense to Come in Out of the Rain

My parents always said, I had "book smarts" but lacked the sense to come in out of the rain.  They were half right.  I'm not so sure I have "book smarts," but I definitely don't see any reason to come in out of the rain.  I'm one of those people when it's raining and everyone is running through the parking lot to get from their car to the store or vice versa, I just walk, business as usual.  I won't melt and I will dry.  I truly love the rain.  I've written before about how much I enjoy doing spring and autumn chores in the rain.  Now, I don't go overboard and stand out in freezing rain in January, but the falling rain really does cause me to feel refreshed.

The times I've enjoyed a rain water rinse on my long silver locks are too numerous to even recount by now.  Storms can be frightening, I realize, but several places through Scripture we are assured that rain is a sign of blessing.

Due to my compromise and desire to ignore the obvious red flags, I felt somewhat personally responsible for the drought in 2012 in the Ozarks.  So many mornings, I awoke to see the parched ground, the newly planted fruit trees being devoured by grasshoppers, and I thought of Jonah.  His running from the call, caught several people in his storm . . .  That summer, I nearly gave up the gift of discernment to keep tight, my rose colored glasses.  Interestingly, once I had stood and faced the horrific accusations and let go of the wishful thinking, it was no time at all that the rain began to fall on the thirsty ground.  By the next spring the water table was back to normal, but it took another year for the pastures to be restored, and . . . I had to replant my fruit trees.

We are told in the last days, rain will be withheld from heaven as the evil increases.  I've been given a taste of that, and I can tell you, no rain in it's season is very disheartening.  I've been in a flood, and yes that also was frightening, but at that time I wasn't caring for animals and I wasn't following Messiah.  It could be I simply didn't have the sense to see it for what it was, but I don't think so.

This is my take on the difference.  A flood calls for everyone to get to higher ground where they are safe, then for the most part, it is the work of man that can be destroyed, such as levies, buildings, automobiles.  In a drought, all of creation is at risk.  Plants, animals, and humans cannot live without water.  I shudder as I read about wells going dry, and water being rationed, still in parts of the southwest . . . Scripture bears the promise that the world will never endure a total flood again.  Warning of drought is much more ominous and continual, even through the Revelation.

Often, when I am in town, I will hear folks speaking disparagingly of rain coming.  Nearly always, I pipe right up with the need for rain.  "Places with constant sunshine are called deserts."  Everyone doesn't have to share my enthusiasm for dancing in the rain, or at least walking in it, but our society has a cliche that really has given us a bad rap.  "Not having the sense to come in out of the rain" has been one of the greatest joys and times of praise in my life!  According to Deuteronomy rainfall is in direct correlation with obedience, and a few verses farther state that drought is a direct result of disobedience.

And it shall come to pass, if ye shall hearken diligently unto my commandments which I command you this day, to love YHWH your G-d, and to serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul,  That I will give you the rain of your land in His due season, the first rain and the latter rain, that thou mayest gather in thy corn, and thy wine, and thine oil.  Deuteronomy 11:13-14




No comments:

Post a Comment