Sunday, April 6, 2014

Royal Splendor

I had an evening of royal splendor this past week.  I had asked and listened in prayer quite seriously after hearing, "it is time to prepare practically for purpose and the time of running a "petting zoo" is over."   It was through that prayer time, I was blessed to be told I was to go to one of my favorite places!

As a peculiar princess, my scepter is a walking stick, my crown, long silver hair and a head covering.  I do have a rather ornate headband that keeps my head covering in place . . . And instead of a ballroom, my royal outing was to the auction barn!  If you've never been to a livestock auction barn in the spring, you need to take a field trip!  The scent of the spring animals is so different than that of the autumn.  Thursday evening is only sheep and goats, and last night there were so many young kids and lambs.  The smell of new babies and fresh milk literally wafted from the barn to the sale ring.

I'd prayed and I knew my mission, but was unaware when the opportunity would be presented.  It came about in an interesting way, and just felt wonderful!  I bid on a couple of young nannies in milk without their babies.  Often that's considered to be a sign that they aren't good mamas or good producers, but the couple that I saw, I just knew otherwise. I'd prayed!  Then it got fun!  Once the auctioneer thought he knew what I was looking for, and the ringmen thought they had my purchasing interest discerned, they'd look to me for a bid every time a nanny in milk came through, but most of them had kids, and that was not in the plan.  I made a bid on one group each with a kid, but I stopped quickly.  I was on a specific quest.  I'm building a Jacob's herd, which means color and breed must be variated, and no white ones.  Interestingly, even in mixing breeds, the lighter colors tend to dominate.  Although that group of mamas were all brown, striped, and spotted, every one of the kids was white!  In this world of pedigree and paperwork, I have been shown in Genesis and led of YHWH, the mixed breeds tend to be stronger, as most inherent weaknesses are recessive.

I bought a beautiful black Nubian, full bag, no kid.  Just exactly what I knew I needed.  I have no idea if she's purebred or not, but if Jedidiah [Jed] remains the herd sire here on the homestead, her kids will definitely be mixed breed.  Nubian bucks are majestic creatures, but they throw long legged, long nosed babies and that can be hard on mamas of other breeds.  Jed is not Nubian.  Back to my night of splendor.

I was enjoying the nods and recommendations of the auctioneer when he thought he knew what I should buy, but nothing more came through.  The day had been rainy and overcast, so even in watching the sky out the window, I was uncertain as to how close to chore time it was getting.  I figured I was going home with one beautiful new goat, Eloise, and so happy to have her.  I paid for her, got her loaded out, then felt drawn to take one last look at what was in the waiting pens.  I saw two Toggenburg mix does in a large group of young does.  I went back in for a bit, watched a few more go through the ring.  In going back out to check their progression, I discovered that group of does had moved up toward the sale ring, quite rapidly.

I'll admit, I have a weakness for Toggs.  My grand uncle raised them, and my beloved Stella was primarily Toggenburg.  As I was out there, I recognized a young man from the fair days, who was now working there at the auction.  I asked him if that whole group of goats would be sold together.  His reply was music to my ears.  He said, "Probably since they are all young nannies, but I can pull some off to run through, separately"  I smiled and said, I'd like the Toggs.  He knew exactly the two to which I referred.   In less than five minutes those two beauties entered the ring, and became the newest members of the herd in the Land of Goshen.

What a royal night!

2 comments: