Monday, December 23, 2013

Sin in a Hot Bath

Realizing the title sounds rather questionable, I'll begin right away by saying this is a parable.   I Corinthians 6:19 came to my spirit after this incident and although it certainly isn't the same temptation for all of us, I am led to believe we can all relate in some way.

For many, a hot bath is a relaxing way to ease tension, relax, wash the hectic day away, and get clean all at the same time.  For someone with MS, it can be a very unhealthy endeavor, and as a child of YHWH, my body is not my own.  Back when I still thought I could have faith in G-d and medicine, I was diagnosed with MS.  One of the first things the doctor told me was no hot baths.  I've been pretty conscientious about that for years, but a couple of weeks ago, in our unseasonably cool, cold spell, I just couldn't get warm.  So, I decided just one little "warm" bath wouldn't hurt.  Compromise really is the threshold to sin.

I'm sure you can guess what happened next.  I got used to the temperature, but it didn't really feel warm, so I added more hot water.  This can be dangerous for a person with nervous system issues, but the danger didn't even enter my head.  The only thought that entered my head was one of instant pleasure.  I had a good book to read, so just leave that hot water trickling on into the tub . . .  By the time it dawned upon me what I was really doing to my body, it was almost too late to have the strength to get out.  The hot water had so weakened me.  Sin always leaves us in a weakened condition . . .

Just like any sin we toy with in our lives, the effects can be lingering.  Even a couple of weeks later, and after several regular showers, some of the effects of that bad choice continue to serve as reminders.  That's the way it is with sin in our lives.  It's so easy to give up the "big sins," it's the little compromises that we justify, that end up causing the problems.  The little things that aren't really so bad, they just aren't good . . .  the little foxes, that spoil the vines . . .

What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of G-d, and ye are not your own?  For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify G-d in your body, and in your spirit, which are G-d's.


No comments:

Post a Comment